Testing Unity Session in 19.04

Can we stay with Nautilus 3.26 for the next few releases of Ubuntu? At least until the Gnome devs stop committing suicide like the Windows 8 ones? The drag and drop is a necessity.

Quite contented with this “old” Nautilus.

2 Likes

Drag & drop ? Can you explain ?

Drag files/folders even apps to the desktop and drop them there. They show on the desktop.
You can drag and drop files/folders between folders (directories), but with the new Nautilus, you can’t do that to the desktop.

Drag and drop is the most used feature in all OSs, Windows, MacOS…and in all kinds of DEs in the Linux world. Gnome is trying to kill it off.

Just imagine telling the Windows, MacOS users that this feature would be taken off!

There’s also people who really want Ubuntu to be on Files 3.30, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3qb9h9AJvc but also @stephen-d-allen https://community.ubuntu.com/t/gnome-nautilus-3-28-in-ubuntu-18-04/5139/12?u=ads20000

I’m guessing we can’t use the Desktop Icons GNOME extension to get icons on the Unity desktop? The decision to try and get Files 3.30 on Ubuntu by default will probably affect Ubuntu Unity as much as all the other flavours (all the ones mentioned are official, of course, unlike Ubuntu Unity) and I don’t know how Ubuntu Unity would get desktop icons onto the desktop without sticking with Files 3.26, nor how it would keep Files 3.26 if Ubuntu upgrades to 3.30 and then 3.32.

1 Like

Well, the alternative would be to use Nemo or Caja (I personally would go for Nemo)

What about the Active Desktop Ubuntu Budgie is planning on adding?

Edit: Speaking of Nemo, what was the PPA that allows you to install the patched version of Nemo without too much Cinnamon dependencies? I thought it was ppa:webupd8team/nemo, but that one doesn’t even have a release for bionic & cosmic.

@chanath you should try using Suru++ 20. It has icons for the top panel

6 Likes

I’d be happy to have Nemo too. Hope @mc3man might help with that.
I have Suru++ too, and some other nice icons and themes, and also much nicer dark theme than Yaru-dark. That’s the one shown on the last screenshot (#29). It is mix of one dark theme with another unity theme, so the coloured round -, + and x. The icons in that is Yaru, looks nice on dark background.

The Active Desktop Ubuntu Budgie is planning is not good on Unity, for it won’t give you a background, and it’d kill the Unity look, when you purge it. But it is good for a typical Gnome based DE, though. It is good on Gnome shell…though

@ads20000
I don’t really care too hoots about all this developments of Gnome and Nautilus, 3.30, or 3.32 or 5.50, for they are just killing what users need. One must remember how fast MS dropped Windows 8…Do we learn?

1 Like

Good call. Found the PPA for Nemo, but it seems to only work on Bionic.

We’ll have to ask @mc3man nicely to update it, :slight_smile:

agree because my personal vote is to switch to Nemo (been trying for a few hours now without problems so far) :+1:

@khurshid-alam

Can you take off these words “unsupported packages from this untrusted” in
“You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA”
All those, who want Unity trust this ppa, anyway. :wink:

1 Like

To try and change that you’ll want to file a bug against Launchpad, I imagine, since it says that for every PPA.

PPA packages are always unsupported and untrusted until the packages are merged into main (for Canonical support) or universe (for community support).

Sometimes, one has to read between lines or look at the smiley…

Right now, I am testing 2 unsupported ppas on Nautilus 3.30 and having a good time…here

It can be tested, only when you purge it, it’d break Unity. Or you’d have to keep on using it. Is it worth using it, or should we look at Nemo?

With that ppa, nautilus 3.30.4
Ubuntu desktop is gone on the top left corner. Right clicking on desktop don’t do anything.

Purged the ppa, and rebooted. The Ubuntu Desktop is there. Can right click on the desktop, add files/folders to it, but window borders, shadows around the windows are missing. Screeny below.

If you compare to the screeny on #29, you’d notice that the liveliness open window has gone. It is flat now.

Unity is much better with Nemo. Or, maybe you’d contact @fossfreedom about matching Active desktop with Unity.

2 Likes

We will probably use caja-desktop. Nemo brings too many dependencies and I am not sure they will take patches for unity.

Active-desktop has no concept of drawing background and depends on gnome-settings-daemon and mutter. But I suppose I can reach out.

Yes, Caja is quite all right.

Nothing to beat this look, is there?

No other Linux distro ever had it…the lovely curvy transparent borders…

For the moment, I am locking Nautilus 3.26.4…

Would any new DE get this kind of look? From its “menu?”

And, such a nice login screen…Ubuntu 19.04

2 Likes

Confirmed that DesktopFolder (the “ActiveDesktop” we [Ubuntu Budgie] looking very closely at for 19.04) with Unity will work:

You need to run DesktopFolder as follows:

env LD_PRELOAD="" desktopfolder 

or if you are using upstreams git master

env LD_PRELOAD="" com.github.spheras.desktopfolder

Screeny to show:

Note - looking to resolve vertical panel issues so that resolve icons hiding under the panel.

1 Like

DesktopFolder works, Nautilus is 3.30.4, but the cannot place a wallpaper. Used your ppa, and

env LD_PRELOAD="" desktopfolder

in /etc/xdg/autostart/com.github.spheras.desktopfolder.desktop
In the /usr/bin the exe file is desktopfolder

Clicking on Change Wallpaper opens Gnome Settings, not Unity’s System Settings. And that doesn’t work.

Working ok’ish here on 19.04 - ubuntu budgie ISO, installed ubuntu-unity-desktop followed by our PPA ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/desktop-icons + desktopfolder package - reboot after making the autostart override below.

Copied the autostart file to ~/.config/autostart

Exec=sh -c 'env LD_PRELOAD="" desktopfolder'

Anyway - the wallpaper option is an easy 2 line fix for Unity. Panel resizing needs a fix for Unity. But in essence it seems to work ok.

If anyone wants to work on making desktopfolder fully Unity compatible then this is the issue upstream to volunteer and submit pull-requests against

1 Like

It works quite well with Ubuntu Budgie, Gnome. I have both on bare metal.
I tried your ppa again twice on Unity, after creating that autostart file. It still gives me a black screen and no wallpaper, same as in the #45 post. What might be the 2 line wallpaper option fix?

The desktop folder works in yours, maybe because you installed Unity over Ubuntu Budgie. What if you uninstall Budgie desktop after that?

EDIT: I just installed Unity over Ubuntu Budgie, but it still gives black screen.

And, a metallic voice keeps on speaking every time I touch anything with the cursor…Back again on Budgie, but that metallic voice is still there. Trying to get rid of it. No idea how to get rid of it.

Not going to experiment with Desktop Folders on Unity 19.04 any more. Would await a new unity ppa.

Yeah. Uninstalling budgie still works just fine in unity.

So don’t know what is wrong with your setup.

The two line fix is the bottom of this file where a "if unity then " type declaration is needed

https://github.com/spheras/desktopfolder/blob/master/src/widgets/DesktopWindow.vala