Nautilus 3.30 - status

You can actually do that. Just open /usr/share/applications folder and drag any application you like to the desktop. And, click on the file you get there. A notification window would jump up, click on the button “Trust and Launch.” The app would launch and the icon would appear on your desktop.

1 Like

If we place desktop icons on desktop, it is at least one step less before launching as most users are defaulted to desktop. If we do a time study, ie, time taken for various actions, time taken to launch favourites is much less if they are on the desktop.

For applications, there’s the dock, for files or folders I agree with you.

I like a clean desktop, but I am not against icons on it. I was just explaining why some people do not need it and might like a switch to remove them.

1 Like

In the standard Ubuntu desktop, there are 2 gnome-extensions built into it, with the Activities button far away on the top left corner. In a non-Ubuntu Gnome shell desktop with one major extension, Dash to Panel, all needed stuff is on one panel, (and while the hot corner on the top left is still there) you simply push the “Windows” button to get to the activities, or all the apps open - the apps minimized situation – less wrist strain. (True, that “Windows” button action is there in the standard Ubuntu too.) So, you can keep that D2Panel also (auto)hidden, having the whole laptop screen area for yourself. And, less apps draining the battery away.

I’m not sure advocating Dash to Panel as the Ubuntu default is appropriate for this thread? Start a new thread if you think Ubuntu should use that by default?

1 Like

Actually, old is better than newer iterations…the fork of Nautilus 3.4 is much nicer than 3.30…like old wine…looks quite nice on default Ubuntu too!

You can change the wallpaper through Settings, not by right clicking on the desktop, but that’s not a big deal, considering the pluses. Dual panes for example (below).

Maybe, there should be something Ubuntuish file manager, rather than what’s thrown at it…

I’ve opened an issue on your gitlab fork of the extension. https://gitlab.gnome.org/iainl/desktop-icons/issues/1

It would be so good if you pay attention. Thank you!

2 Likes

If people want to go for more features rather than greater simplicity then they are welcome to either customize Ubuntu to do so or use a different flavour of Ubuntu (Kubuntu is the best option if one wants to go heavy on features by default). GNOME is about simplicity, Ubuntu made a few modifications to it just to keep familiarity with Ubuntu Unity (Dock, AppIndicator support, Ambiance then Yaru), otherwise Ubuntu generally has stuck with GNOME defaults upon switching to GNOME; I think going with Nemo over GNOME Files would be too much deviation from GNOME. Like I say, some are rather annoyed at Ubuntu for not going with upstream GNOME more often. I think you need to do more than prove that

to get Nemo as default in Ubuntu rather than Files. I’m not sure what you’d have to do to make the case for it, because just more features is not enough, that’s more KDE’s general philosophy (simple to use, powerful when necessary) rather than GNOME’s anti-feature-creep minimalist philosophy.

2 Likes

Could we please get an up-to-date Yaru package into disco?
All those videos pop up on the internet with the old nautilus pathbar styling which is obviously broken.
And merry Christmas everyone

3 Likes

I am running it on a test environment, and latest daily build (as of last week) of Disco Dingo has Nautilus 3.30, but no desktop icons yet. But the path bar (for current location) is not readable, as it dark font on dark background.

Don’t use disco-proposed. Packages there are not supposed to be ready.

2 Likes

Everybody stay on topic. The topic is the Status of Nautilus 3.30, not alternatives nor customizing nor other non-germane opinions.

Please open separate threads for those flights of fancy.

7 Likes

@khurshid-alam I also would prefer to see zeitgeist support dropped from Nautilus. I don’t think that we should continue to carry zeitgeist in Ubuntu main any more, but nautilus is the blocker for demoting zeitgeist to universe.

totem also has a zeitgeist plugin (used by Unity I believe), but that plugin can be easily moved to totem-plugins-extra or a separate package. If we want to make it a separate package, now is a great time to decide on that since Debian won’t allow any new packages into Debian 10 “Buster” after early February.

2 Likes

@chanath Respectfully, that’s off-topic for this topic.

1 Like

I have Nautilus 3.30.4 installed from proposed on Ubuntu Disco 19.04

1. should I see home folder and trash on my desktop as in 1st post of this site?
  2. in my Home window I see ‘examples.desktop’ but if i click on it i see the content just as text.

Hello!

I don’t like the idea of extension. I prefer to change the file manager, but Nemo, Caja and elementary Files looks outdated.

I can create a fork of Nautilus and return in it desktop icons. I already came up with the name, but I now will not say. This is a secret. :wink:

Just do it, name doesn’t matter…

1 Like

Get Nautilus 3.26, convert it to snap with icons on desktop and I will use it

Actually maybe someone can fork Nemo’s desktop abilty and bring it as standalone (without the app itself, just the nemo-desktop command)

nautilus arrived today on Disco with icons on the desktop.
.desktop files must be authorized to run, .jpg and .png images appear as miniature and can be open, .ods open correctly but .txt files does not open.Screenshot from 2019-01-12 13-14-12