Monday 25th February 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Monday 18th February 2019

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:house: Housekeeping:

:bug: Bug management:

2 Likes

GNOME Shell (and friends)

Feature Freeze

• Sponsored vala 0.44 series for ricotz and working with him on sponsoring several updates to dependent packages to make sure they keep building.
  • Got new webkit2gk building on armhf by switching it to -O1 there
  • Uploaded new totem version which dropped the gromit and zeitgeist plugins.
  • Michael Catanzaro fixed our libsoup blocker bug so I uploaded it.
  • Investigated the packaged GNOME Shell extensions that have a hard dependency on gnome-shell < 3.31. We will probably demote several to disco-proposed since we don’t have a lot of extra time to be fixing those extensions ourselves right now.
  • Worked with ruby-gnome2 to fix their gtk2 test with adwaita-icon-theme 3.31 (was blocking latest glib)
  • Several other uploads to beat Feature Freeze
  • Did a new gvfs upload (pending) to hopefully fix the autopkgtest failure with glibc 2.29.

Other GNOME

• My gnome-desktop test fix was merged
  • Coordinated with Benjamin Berg on locking the screen when suspend on lid close is disabled in the GNOME Tweaks app. Fix should make it into GNOME 3.32 and is something we should look into SRUing to 18.04 LTS.
  • Submitted multiple improvements to the Hitori game
  • Proposed a minor build fix for adwaita-icon-theme
  • Worked with Seahorse on a minor UI bug as part of the GNOME 3.32 menu changes
  • Coordinated some build issues upstream with Epiphany

Debian

• Uploaded tracker-miners and libiptcdata, allowing us to sync them again.
  • Pushed several of our snap patches to Debian’s gnome-software. I wish I could push the Snap Permissions dialog feature there, but it would have been untranslated. :cry:
  • Uploaded gssdp and gupnp to NEW queue. This will require transitions and the new versions don’t seem necessary for Disco.

Blocked updates

• gnome-settings-daemon 3.31 is blocked by someone needing to update 53_sync_input_sources_to_accountsservice.patch
  • gnome-shell 3.31.91 probably needs gnome-settings-daemon 3.31 for keybindings changes (maybe gnome-shell or mutter commits can be temporarily reverted to bypass the dependency)
  • gnome-software is blocked by libxmlb MIR
  • gnome-software is also blocked by a major bug (maybe PackageKit support?
  • geary is blocked by build failure on s390x
  • tracker 2.2 is blocked by a new autopkgtest regression
  • Avoided the earlier autopkgtest regression from when we tried switching tracker to meson a few months ago by switching from unistring to ICU (which is what Fedora uses and what upstream appears to be testing currently)

Other MIRs

• xdg-dbus-proxy won’t be needed for webkitgtk until August/September since the bubblewrap sandbox feature has been postponed.
  • I worked with the Debian maintainer to make packaging improvements for libhandy and replied to the MIR (libhandy isn’t needed for Disco either).

Snap

• Enabled auto-builds for eog since upstream accepted Ken’s snap config.

Ubuntu

• Fully demoted notification-daemon to universe. You apparently can’t use <!s390x> in binary package dependencies in debian/control.
  • Did some uploads for the poppler transition
  • Verified the gtk3 SRUs for bionic and cosmic
  • Uploaded a new gnome-desktop3 candidate SRU for Ubuntu 18.10
  • Reported the gnome-keyring regression. I encourage someone to just revert the problematic commit or commits for Disco now since the bug is annoying.

Other

• I have other obligations that will prevent me from being able to attend the IRC meetings and will significantly limit how much time I will have for contributing here.
1 Like
1 Like

firefox24 firefox

• prepared 65.0.1+build2 update
  • re-enabled unity-menubar.patch in 66 beta builds

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• prepared 60.5.1+build2 update

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 72.0.3626.109
  • updated dev to 74.0.3710.0
  • working on adding chromedriver and autopkgtests to the snap so we can have automated tests run for every new revision in the store

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• worked with @ricotz to push 6.2.1 RC1 to disco before feature freeze, now addressing autopkgtest failures in existing and new tests
  • verified that 6.0.7 in bionic rebuilt against openjdk-11 (to be backported to bionic) fixes the JVM crash on i386

snapcraft24 snaps

package24 other

• enjoyed face-to-face time with the rest of the team at sprint

:bug: rls-bb-tracking bugs

• bug #1754671 in network-manager: still in bionic-proposed, no update in the last two weeks, but @till-kamppeter agreed to test and provide some feedback
  • Joined the Canonical engineering team, quite some meetings there
  • SRUed evolution stack 3.30.5 to cosmic
  • SRUed evolution-ews current point version to bionic
  • backported g-c-c fix for the info panel segfaulting with the new glib
  • Merges with Debian (curl)
  • worked on multiarching rygel
  • reviewed/sponsored livepatch changes from Andy (moving it no a new tab in software-properties, action in the notification)
  • fixed a build issue with the previous upload (was missing build-depends)
  • helped with reverting the buggy ghostscript security update
  • disco updates (poppler, orca, shotwell, alsa-utils, alsa-plugins, n-m-openvpn)
  • worked on the poppler transition
  • debugged nautilus/tracker not working in bionic
  • backported a segfault fix for network-manager in disco
  • uploaded unity-greeter to disco to remove the mlock call that was making it not start with the new systemd
  • looked a bit a the grub patches we were missing for smoother boot, we need one we didn’t have, c_yphermox said he would include it in its coming upload

rls bugs

• 1778322, blocked on the server team/samba to backport a new function needed by gvfs
  • 1812683, not started, the fix disco seems rather a workaround and needs to be investigated
  • 1781597, blocked on the current n-m upload to clear out of proposed

:shield: Livepatch:

• :white_check_mark: Proposed fix for bug in software-properties-gtk that was preventing error messages to be correctly shown.

:desktop_computer: Desktop Icons:

:seven: Unity 7:

• Investigated the FTBS in cosmic and bionic. Contacted the maintainer of glewmx to upload the fix.

:shell: Gnome Shell & Mutter:

• Rebased branches to fix auto-repeat shortcuts
  • Minor clean-ups

:package: Packaging:

• Proposed branches to use gbp in gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock (in debian salsa). Contacted the maintainer by email to ask his opinion.

:sunny: Reviews:

:bug: rls-**-tracking bugs:

• bug #1799293 in gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock: upstream and ubuntu-dock are already fixed. We don’t really care about gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock (it’s in universe) but part of the work to use gbp in gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock it’s due to this.

(this is late because I couldn’t get on anything ubuntu.com at the end of yesterday…)

I’ll look at that if you want.

Please do. Thanks.

tracker 2.2 is blocked by a new autopkgtest regression

I’m taking a look if you don’t mind.

• GTK Print Dialog: My patch for bug 1763520 (On update of a PPD file unknown settings are considered custom values) is worked on upstream. Especially they asked me for some cosmetic /code policy fixes. So most probably they will finalize that soon.
  • Network Manager: Backported upstream patch to Cosmic so that Captive Portal pop-up actually gets triggered. So it is ready to post for an SRU, but strangely no user ever reported this on Launchpad.
  • Network Manager: bug 1796622 (NetworkManager IPv6 DAD lifetime behavior introduce security risk) is also ready for aCosmic SRU, could be joined with Captive Portal issue.
  • Avahi: In Malta Trent LLoyd has promised to merge my localhost support patch, but did not actually do it in that week. I have sent a reminder e-mail and also posted a reminder on the Avahi GitHub Issue.
  • Google Summer of Code 2019: The Linux Foundation is accepted as mentoring organization. So we will again have several OpenPrinting-related student projects this summer, especially about IPP Printer and Scanner Applications.
  • OpenPrinting web site: Students continuing well on the renovation work.
  • cups-filters: Student of GSoC 2018 is finishing his printer auto-selection work on cups-browsed.
  • Bugs.

Go ahead. The rest of the packaging work is in Salsa already.

I didn’t start on tracker-miners 2.2 yet, but at least we were already using meson for its packaging.