Monday 19th November 2018

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Monday 12th November 2018
Next week’s notes are here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/monday-26th-november-2018/8807

2 Likes
  • Packaging:
    • Upload gjs 1.54.3 to Debian Unstable with the ‘gnome-shell --replace’ & ‘debugexit’ fixes (PR, Status: :x:)
  • dash-to-dock:
    • gnome-shell segfault when locking the screen with windows previews open (Issue, PR, Status: :love_letter: )
    • working on the dash over lockscreen issue (I’m able to reproduce a variant of it on bionic).
  • gnome-shell:
    • Critical warning when app is closed while popup menu is opened (Issue, PR, Status :white_check_mark:)
  • SRU bug verifications:
    • verified that update-manager 1:18.04.11.7 fixes LP: #1787553
    • verified that gnome-intitial-setup 3.28.0-2ubuntu6.16.04.4 fixes LP: #1764723
    • verified that gnome-intitial-setup 3.28.0-2ubuntu6.16.04.4 fixes LP: #1789925
  • Livepatch:
    • Read privacy url from /etc/os-release in livepatch page of gnome-initial-setup (MP, Status: :love_letter:)

• :white_check_mark: Merged/Uploaded
  • :eyeglasses: Under review
  • :love_letter: Waiting for review
  • :x: Rejected
1 Like

Release bugs:

• 1552792 - SRU verified, awaiting release.
  • 1719797 - SRU verified, awaiting release.
  • 1798228 - SRU verified, awaiting release.
  • 1785240 - SRU verified, awaiting release.
  • 1798470 - SRU verified, awaiting release.
  • 1799614 - Awaiting snapd 2.36 release to implement.
1 Like
  • New installer
    • Modified desktop seeds to add a new ubuntu-desktop-minimal
    • Replied to comment on MP 358490
    • Added support for snap to multi layer images (MP 358840)
    • Adding support for l10n to multi layer images and broke daily images (no localization on live session)
    • Had fun with bzr-git (Thanks @didrocks)
    • Tested Daily Disco.
2 Likes
  • Created ubuntudesktop/gnome-3-28-1804 docker container based on ubuntu/bionic with snapcraft from candidate capable of building snaps with bases
  • build snap
    • Updated gnome-3-28-1804-sdk to use core18
    • Updated CI to build with new ubuntudesktop/gnome-3-28-1804 docker container
    • build fixes, the build snap now builds properly in gitlab CI
  • gtk-common-themes
    • Fixed sound theme issue
    • Updated snap to use a version-script so we can properly track versions in use
  • Working on a PR for snapcraft adding VAPIDIR and VALAFLAGS handling

no rls bugs

2 Likes

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell other bugs:

:bug: Bug management:

• :pick: Backlogs progress:
    • :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news (falling backlogs): xorg
    • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news (consistently growing backlogs): ubiquity and xorg-server, as usual.
3 Likes

Worked with Jean-Baptiste on the installer:

• Modified desktop seeds to add new ubuntu-minimal metapackage & seed. (implied seed, tasksels and some system/archive debugging…)
  • Add snap support to layered squashfs. MP opened (see jibel’s link)
  • Reorgnanized seeds for locale & langpacks, one seed per default language (minimal/full install), with a metatasks. This will enable us to do negative delta. Note that this regression current desktop disco image (no langpacks included anymore). Potential fix proposed, we’ll look into it.
  • Replied to comments on first layered MP. Still waiting for more feedbacks.
  • Had a lot of fun, after multiple rebase, with bzr-git

Misc:

• Look at some Yaru build failures, seems a new snapcraft feature make it FTBFS when rebuilding gtk-common-parts. Fixed by now.
  • Reviewed upstream os-infodb for 18.10 isos.

No rls bug assigned left.

3 Likes
  • Spent most of the week merging nautilus up to 3.30.1 - this involved understanding our extensive set of patches… I’ve dropped some of them and ported a few others, but it still doesn’t build for me yet. Once it does I’ll post a thread on here with a status report, because some of the Unity patches are ones I dropped and they’ll need updating if they are to be carried over (& there’s the desktop situation of course)
  • appstream-generator has started falling over regularly, not sure why - I keep getting paged (phone call / email / SMS!) about it and need to log on to kill it. Should look into that …
  • Tried to help a little bit with getting gjs to migrate in Debian, so that they are on mozjs60 and it’s not blocked any more. Still some work to do there.
    • tested/synced gjs 1.54.3
  • some random discussions like giving advice on seed changes

no rls bugs

firefox24 firefox

• prepared 63.0.3 update (in disco-proposed, and in ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa)

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 70.0.3538.102 (in disco and in stage PPA)
  • iterating on the !amd64 snap build issue, found a way to trigger the issue without actually building chromium, in ~3 hours (instead of ~30 hours when building chromium), still digging

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• tested 6.1.3 snap in candidate channel and promoted to stable
  • investigated bug #1802208 (reports won’t open in bionic/xenial)
  • rebuilt snap against core18, tested, and iterating to trim the fat

:bug: rls-bb-tracking bugs

• bug #1754671 in network-manager: upstream fix was backported to the 1.10 series, which unblocks the resolution of this bug
  • bug #1795169 in firefox: some progress in understanding the problem, found similarities with other bugs related to password fields and ibus
  • bug #1799230 in libreoffice: still in bionic unapproved queue
  • bug #1802208 in libreoffice: spent quite some time investigating, haven’t found a working solution yet

:bug: rls-cc-tracking bugs

1 Like
  • one vac day
  • upstreamed a plymouth assert error
  • disco updates: libdazzle libsoup gvfs
  • SRUed some totem fixes to bionic (segfault in the nautilus properties dialog & gallery plugin not working)
  • sponsored the update-notifier formatting/W504 fixes from andy
  • backported some gvfs fixes for a bionic SRU, SRU the current version to cosmic
  • launchpad bugs triaging

rls bugs, the 3 bugs are fix commited/SRUed/waiting for SRU verification

GNOME Shell (and mutter)

GNOME and friends

SRUs

• Some verifications on gnome-shell (landed now!)
  • Prepared a SRU for libgweather (causing g-s crash) [git branch here needs review and ownership change]
  • Nautilus errors checks

My week:

• cups: Synced 2.2.9 from Debian.
  • cups-filters: Fixed multiple copies printing on driverless IPP printers in pdftopdf. Now the correct number of copies is printed.
  • cups-filters: Applied contributed patches for compatibility with newest Poppler and for correct handling of timeouts (to avoid cupsd taking up all CPU)
  • OpenPrinting: Introduced person from Canon to uploading PostScript printer PPD files.
  • OpenPrinting web site: Continued coordination of web site renovation.
  • Bugs.

Till

1 Like

fontconfig:

• I backported the cache file naming changes from 2.13 to Bionic’s fontconfig here: bug 1803534

snapd gnome search providers

• I’ve been working on updating my systemd user units PR, and porting over more of the D-Bus activation code to build on top of this. Still more work to do.

Yaru:

• Yaru PR #952 was merged, which should marginally improve performance of the theme by bundling all the resources into a single memory mappable file.
1 Like