Desktop Team Update - Monday 19th August 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Update - Monday 12th August 2019
Next week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Update - Monday 26th August 2019

firefox24 firefox

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• fixed bug #1840011 (FTBFS in eoan)
  • started work on the next major update, 68.0 (expected beginning of September)

chromium22 chromium

package24 other

2 Likes
2 Likes

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:bug: Release bugs:

:chart_with_downwards_trend: Backlogs progress

3 Likes

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

4 Likes

(week was shorter, one national holiday)

• Eoan work
    • desktop updates, duplicity, alsa-lib/plugins/utils, geoclue, libnotify, gtksourceview4, cogl, graphene, gucharmap, cheese, libgdata, gdk-pixbuf
    • Debian merges & syncs, tdb, gtk+3.0, glib2.0, libabw
    • worked on preparing a new poppler update/transition (they changed soname as usual)
    • helped on the e-d-s transition (syncevolution, abiword, evolution-indicator)
    • helped with the gnome-desktop new soname/rdepends rebuilds
    • fixed a gnome-screensaver patch breaking build, updated the apport hook to use python3 and fix a merge error from a previous upload
2 Likes
  • Almost all of the work this week was for GNOME 3.33. Various updates for API changes, rebuilds and other issues. I coordinated with @3v1n0 and others to get some things updated (e.g. dash to dock, the Yaru theme, … - thanks for working on that.)
  • This update brings systemd --user support (using systemd to start the GNOME session), which I worked on a few months ago and recently Benjamin Berg has been polishing up. I found a bug in the implentation that landed and worked on fixing that, discussing with the upstream folks.
  • …and also, on the same systemd topic, I’ve been preparing some content for our GUADEC talk; see you there if you’re going.
5 Likes

snapd user session agent:

• PR #7197, adding exit on idle behaviour to the agent plus some SO_PEERCRED security checks is still waiting, probably for the snapd 2.41 release process to complete.
  • PR #7238, adding a control API for the user instance of systemd received a preliminary review.
  • I’ve been working on some client library code to talk to all available session agents. I am structuring things so that there is a single client that talks to all available session agents in parallel. All APIs take a context.Context parameter allowing strict timeouts to be placed on responses (important given that this will be privileged code talking to unprivileged code).

snapd icon theme support:

• PR #6767 received security sign off after adding some sanity checks for the icons specified by path (i.e. the existing non-icon theme mode of operation that all desktop snaps use). The PR has been pushed off to the 2.42 milestone, so I expect it to get merged soon after 2.41 is released.

Control of desktop file IDs for snaps:

3 Likes

3 days week back from holidays:

• Caught up with email
  • Looked at eoan automated test failure and filed bug 1840122
  • Stats for OEM
  • Customer projects.

GNOME World

• Fixed som DnD errors on AppIcons as per upstream changes [MR, merged]
  • More updates to this.actor-removal branch
  • Prepared a branch for extensions once above branch merges [MR]
  • Fixed Desktop Icons extensions for GNOME 3.34 [MR]
  • Prepared code refactor and modernization for Desktop Icons (likely needed for next 3.33 version [MR]
  • Small changes to mutter’s compositor as GObject, reviewing Jonas changes [MR, merged]
  • Upstream reviews and merges

Dash to Dock

• Proposed needed code changes to work with 3.34 [MR] (prepared also for next updates)
  • Trash and removable desktop icons MR: reviewed and merged to Ubuntu branch with few fixes (some already accepted by author). Kept the trash icon disabled (as we might discuss this further).
  • Prepared ubuntu branch for release and packaging

AppIndicators

• Prepared code changes for 3.34 [MR]
  • Made a new upstream release, released to e.g.o and prepared packaging for debian

Yaru

• Updated code to work with GNOME 3.34 [MR]
  • Done upstream release, after syncing with upstream (thanks a lot to @frederik-f and @c-lobrano !!!)
  • Prepared release

Packaging

• Moved hot-corners setting to interface [MR, please merge]
  • Prepared mutter for 3.33.90 in debian and for ubuntu with patches [MR]
  • Prepared GNOME Shell 3.33.90 in debian and for ubuntu with patches [MR]
  • Prepared GNOME Shell extensions for debian [MR]
6 Likes
  • CUPS: 2.2.12 got released upstream. Synced it from Debian unstable (OdyX is back from vacation).
  • cups-filters: Released 1.25.2 upstream (mainly for a cups-browsed fix so that locally created queues do not get removed when a network interface, like Wi-Fi, goes away), synced package from Debian into Eoan.
  • Ghostscript: Updated Eoan to version 9.27.
  • foomatic-db: Given upstream commit access to printer driver developers from Lexmark, received fixes on Lexmark printer entries, fixed daily snapshot generator on the OpenPrinting web server for the new upstream repo location on GitHub so that Debian and Ubuntu package can get easily created again.
  • system-config-printer: Merged the changes from the Debian package into Eoan.
  • Modem Manager: Updated ModemManager itself and its supporting libraries libmbim and libqmi to the newest upstream versions.
  • Google Summer of Code 2019: Final evaluations have opened, guiding the students to complete their projects.
  • Bugs.
3 Likes