Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Nice, but basically wrong :smiley:
The script is not ready, the icons are due to hard and manual work of @jaggers, @eaglers, @madsrh and @frederik-f

5 Likes

Sorry to repeat the crap I wrote on telegram but I think its fun:

Everyone loves squircles! Let’s get that open source world squircled and be one rounded, squircled happy family! :heart:

2 Likes

@initu-icr

Here is another iteration of Yaru-dark theme and also Yaru icons on Unity 19.04…with the standard Ubuntu minimize, maximize, close signs.

(Only the file manger is not Ubuntu default one.)

1 Like

This is Ubuntu 19.04.
Is it possible to say which icon theme is Yaru below?

(Disregard the file manager)

Is this true for all of the new icons? Was there an initial creation by a script which was then manually iterated on with small tweaks? Were all of the new icons manually tweaked? Or were they all made from scratch? What will happen when the script is made, will the manual icons be replaced by script icons or will there continue to be a mix of both or do we not know yet?

Also what are the icons part of? @snwh refused to allow third-party icons in upstream Suru, so I suppose the icons are ‘part of Yaru’ or ‘part of Yaru’s Suru’ rather than part of Suru per se? Where are they stored on GitHub?

@d0od

Proceeding with order:

All new Icons have been manually crafted from scratch. Probably only the background squircle is the same, but it was manually crafted as well.

The surufy script will work only on icons that are not already present in Yaru/icons directory, so the new icons won’t be replaced (as well as the old ones).

Currently the new icons only appear on Yaru icon set, but we hope that eventually they will be accepted in upstream Suru as well. Initially, the team worked on the applications pre-installed in Ubuntu and currently the direction is to work on all the icon already provided by Gnome upstream.

NOTE: the script is not ready and won’t be probably ready for the next release (at least not pre-installed). I plan to write more about the current status in a separated thread.

3 Likes

Are they png not svg, these manually crafted icons?

Both png and svg

(… To fill 20 characters reply)

About two days, multiple corrections, and the article still hasn’t been corrected. Really frustrated; this just keeps happening with OMGU’s coverage.

3 Likes

I’d say it’s not a big deal. It’s promotion for this theming project so it’s good (imho) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you just stop spamming with your unrelated screenshots and stuff…

3 Likes

I understand your problem @mozit, for the icons are Yaru, but of a different colour. It is absolutely related, for 1) got the original Yaru themes working for Unity #2017, 2) got a way to change the icon colours, #2025 - Yaru-grey.

It took quite a long time to read the whole thread. The majority of posts are just nothing. @mozit promised to do something on the way, btw, but I can’t find the result.
When, I read the question of @initu-icr #2009, thought maybe I’d look for it, not just promise, but do it. Test the result at least 12hrs, and if it works, show it. And, most probably, not for you.
Maybe, the Mate guys might want the green icons,
folder

Yes, sadly this isn’t something new :pensive: When the Yaru name was announced - you know, the name that we in the community choose - Joey started his post with: “Canonical has chosen…” :man_facepalming: I wrote two comments on that post, tagged him and contacted him via the email, but even today the article still isn’t fixed!

It does promote the theme, which is good, but although he didn’t precisely write it, it leads the readers to believe that the script will create squircled icons for every app in 19.04. There’s several issues with the script and as @c-lobrano wrote the script is not ready and won’t be probably ready for the next release. So we can expect the negative comments as the Linux community are so famous for. IMHO not all good.

3 Likes

Great to see positive coverage about the new appearance of the icons, and many thanks to people who named designers in the comments :slight_smile: It’s really good that we’re beginning to see our new Suru-style icons in OMG! Ubuntu screenshots. Hopefully there isn’t any confusion by the time the next release goes out.

3 Likes

I wrote a post with more details about that

Surufy icon script status

3 Likes

Reply to Mockups/new design discussions

I’m against default icon size changing in dock. 48px is optimal size for icons in dock.

1 Like

It’s definitely the nicest size for me too, but the new Gnome icons and the 256px Suru svgs don’t scale sharply to that size. If we don’t do “something” then the launcher will suddenly look noticeably worse than it does today when we switch to one svg :frowning:

What I’d say is, I’m definitely in favour of keeping a 48px dock if we can also keep a 48px icon in Suru and add as many icons as possible to Suru (licence allowing).

I don’t think Ubuntu should ship a 48px launcher with a set of svg house icons that don’t scale well to 48px.

I also don’t think Ubuntu should end up with a scenario where only the house icons only are optimised for the default launcher size, if the house icons hardly cover any apps. Because then the majority of icons seen by the user on the launcher will be third party icons that don’t look good at 48px.

Also: if we optimise Suru full-size svgs to be sharp at 48px, we’ll have to tweak every full size svg to align it with a different grid, and they won’t be sharp when they scale to Gnome-preferred sizes of 32px and 64px.

I think I found the best way to show the problem as it applies to Ubunu. Here’s the full size SVG of the Suru messaging icon which, as per Suru guidelines, is drawn to a 4x4 grid:

The use of the grid means that the svg scales very sharply to 64px, 128px, 256px, 512px, because each grid square is a whole number of pixels at those sizes (1, 2, 4 and 8 respectively).

However, it isn’t optimised to be sharp at 48px. When the icon scales to 48px, this is how it will align with the individual pixels on your monitor:

A lot of the boundaries fall between the pixels so you will get a bit of blur there. Examples: the left and right edges of the squircle; the top of the speech bubble; the top and bottom of the lines on the speech bubble. Those lines will be blurry at 48px instead of sharp - EDIT like so:

Messaging actually doesn’t look too bad at 48px, but some svgs will scale worse than others. It’s just luck, how many lines and elements fall between pixels when you scale to a size that wasn’t intended or optimised.

Compare to how sharply the svg lines up with the pixels on your screen at 64px:

The new Gnome icons will be the same. I think it would be really weird to ship icons that aren’t optimised for the default launcher size and look better at other sizes. So: yes please to 48px launcher :slight_smile: but then I think we need two svgs per icon (one following Gnome guidelines for larger sizes and another for the launcher).

This theme seems to have run its course and become cumbersome.
Please open new threads for discussions of the various elements, for integration, etc.

If you would like existing posts moved to a new thread, just flag them and message me.

2 Likes